My Charlottesville Home is Sold But How Do I Choose a Moving Company?
Your home is sold, the closing date is coming up and you still have to choose a moving company. Do you know what questions to ask or do you hire the first company that you find in the yellow pages or online? All moving companies do not offer the same services. Here are some factors that you should consider before you contract with a particular mover.
- What is the charge for packing?
- Does it include boxes? If not, what do they cost and will you deliver them?
- Is there an additional charge to deliver some items to a storage unit?
- How is a damage claim handled?
- What insurance do you provide and is there a cost?
- Does the insurance cover items packed by the owner?
- Can additional insurance be purchased and what will it cost?
- If items are covered by my Homeowner’s insurance, whose insurance pays first?
- Can you ship my car(s)? Will they be in the moving van or towed?
- What are the charges for shipping cars, lawn tractors, etc?
- What items cannot be shipped?
- If a shuttle truck is needed because of the location of my house or size of the drive way, is there an additional charge?
- If packing and loading are on different days, can you leave the beds and other basics out for us to use?
- What dates are available for our move?
- What date will you pack and how long will this take?
- What date will you load the van?
- What date will the van arrive at my new location?
- If my new home is not ready for delivery, how many days can it be delayed before there is a charge?
- What is the charge for additional days or weeks?
- Are there any additional fees that I’m responsible for that have not been discussed?
- What are the terms of payment?
- Is a down payment required?
- When will the balance be due and who is authorized to accept it?
As you can see there is a lot to consider, but getting these things straight ahead of time will save headaches later. When you know what questions to ask, you will have the ability to select the best mover and the final step of selling your Charlottesville home will be a breeze.