How Should I Prepare My Charlottesville Home For Winter
With winter storms and bitter cold affecting much of the country, there are plenty of Charlottesville home owners who wish they were better prepared. Even when you live in warm climates, some of these things are important to check periodically, and tthis year we have just seen snow stoms in areas that never get snow.
Preparing for the change of seasons can make your home more comfortable and protect your investment. Regular maintenance extends the various components of a home and can generate savings in operating costs while avoiding expensive replacements. Plus if you are offering your home for sale, buyers will pay attention to the maintenance that has been performed. A well maintained home will sell more quickly and for more money.
Below are some actvities you can do to make sure that your home is ready for winter:
- Weather strips around doors and windows should be checked for possible air leaks.
- Caulking around windows and doors should seal out moisture and air leaks.
- HVAC should be inspected and serviced by a professional annually.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors should be tested regularly.
- Ductwork and supply lines from water heaters should be insulated.
- Fireplace chimneys should be cleaned regularly and fireplaces should be inspected for cracks in mortar and to see if the damper closes properly.
- Gutters should be free of leaves and debris to prevent rainwater build-up.
- Tree branches touching or hanging over your roof should be trimmed
Please contact me if you would like recommendations for service providers.
We still have a lot of winter left, so its still not to late to prepare your Charlottesville home for winter, and we have a couple of warm days coming up this weekend that would be perfect to get outside and do some exterior work.
Leave a Reply